Awesome! There is a new album available from the Brighton, UK-based instrumental surf band, Los Fantasticos. The album is titled Into the Infinity Tunnel. The official release date was September 26, 2009. Get your copy at the HangNine Shop.
According to MySpace and Wikipedia, The Thurston Lava Tube is a psychedelic, experimental surf instrumental group from Leicester, England. After listening to their songs, I must agree with that description. While they are not a traditional surf band, their experimental vibe makes them something more. It’s got a very compelling and vintage feel to it. Their videos are awesome. Here is are a couple of songs that I really enjoy. The first one is their version of Ziggy Stardust.
If you are in the northeast United States in early November, you need to get your tickets to The Ventures show on Nov. 4, 2009 at Birchmere Music Hall. Here is a link to buy the tickets. They are $35.00. The Ventures also have a show at the Highline Ballroom in New York City on Nov. 2, 2009. If I had the money, I’d be at both shows for sure!
If you are a fan of instrumental surf music, you must be a fan of Joe Meek. His most famous song was the Tornados’ hit Telstar, which was the first British song to hit #1 on the US charts. Joe Meek’s life and death are straight out of Rock & Roll folklore. And now it seems that someone has made a movie about Joe Meek. Telstar: The Story of Joe Meek is now available on DVD in the UK (as of 9/28/2009). Here is a link to the official Telstar the Movie website, and here is the official movie trailer:
Go see this movie. It’s getting rave reviews. As a fan of surf music, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of this movie on DVD. Like now even!
Here are some pictures from the movie:
Los Cuchillos are a badass surf band out of Costa Rica. Check out the music video for their song, El Hombre Lobo:
Los Straitjackets are probably the hardest working surf band in the country, and as luck would have it they are playing 20 shows in the next few months. Here is a current list of their remaining gigs in 2009:
- Thu 10/29/09 – Austin, TX – The Continental Club
- Fri 10/30/09 – Houston, TX – The Continental Club
- Sat 10/31/09 – West Siloam Springs, OK – Cherokee Casino
- Tue 12/01/09 – Atlanta, GA – The EARL
- Wed 12/02/09 – Carrboro, NC – Cat’s Cradle
- Thu 12/03/09 – Washington, DC – 9:30 Club
- Fri 12/04/09 – Philadelphia, PA – World Cafe Live
- Sat 12/05/09 – New York, NY – Bowery Ballroom
- Sun 12/06/09 – Boston, MA – Paradise Rock Club
- Tue 12/08/09 – Toronto, ON – Lee’s Palace
- Wed 12/09/09 – Cleveland, OH – Beachland Ballroom & Tavern
- Thu 12/10/09 – Pontiac, MI – Crofoot Ballroom
- Fri 12/11/09 – Chicago, IL – Double Door
- Sat 12/12/09 – Minneapolis, MN – First Avenue
- Mon 12/14/09 – Seattle, WA – Tractor Tavern
- Tue 12/15/09 – Portland, OR – Dante’s
- Thu 12/17/09 – San Francisco, CA – The Independent
- Fri 12/18/09 – West Hollywood, CA – Troubadour
- Sat 12/19/09 – San Diego, CA – The Casbah
- Thu 12/31/09 – Green Bay, WI – Oneida Bingo & Casino
If you are a fan of surf music, you have gotta see these guys. For the love of all things outerspace and space echo, go see a Los Straitjackets show!